WELCOME TO THE "EVERYTHING LAW SCHOOL" BLOG

I would like to welcome everyone to my blog on "everything law school".

Please take full advantage of the resources available to you here and feel free to comment or email me about anything you would like to add or see done to the page.

Any additional resources that could be added to this page will only create opportunities of knowledge for those seeking it.

-LAW BABY

Monday, November 3, 2008

How I got into Yale Law...


Ok... A couple of things: The title misled you. Yes I know, it's horrible and you might be disappointed. However I didn't really lie, you just assumed that by "got in" I meant accepted. What i meant was a little more literal than that. I got into the building of Yale Law through the main visitor entrance....thats how. 

Moving on...

With this particular post I'm going to go off tangent just a bit but still remain devoted to the law school environment or context.

I took off for a couple of days and went to New Haven in CT. This little town is where the famous "Ivy League" Yale University is located. The town is only about 1 hour and 30 minutes away from Queens, NY where I reside. The decision to go was mostly out of a need for reassurance. While it is understood that Yale University is a hard school to get into "its only the number 1 school in the country", the motivational and inspirational aspect of the town, atmosphere, environment, and a level of seriousness beyond belief are plenty of reasons to visit this wonderful town.

The ride is comfortable and with minimal traffic. (I'm from NYC so lack of traffic is like divine intervention to me). After arriving there an immediate air of seriousness sets in. Even the parking garage attendant seemed to be well educated. So after I parked the car I whipped out the map and figured out a point of attack. The town could possibly be explored in 3-4 hours and in this time one could manage to see quite a lot. 

The town is grid-lined (much like Manhattan) and divided in little square blocks. For a map click here. The city is lined with greenery and trees and the autumn colors set in beautifully. The park "the center greene" is the center of the town. The streets of the city are quiet, even on a saturday, and the town has a very serious aura.

The school itself is composed of numerous little buildings scattered about the town. Plenty of old architecture, with over-stressed arches and columns are the main attributes of buildings. The school was founded in 1701 which makes it a pretty old school (300+ years old). There seems to be churches in every corner street. All christian sects are represented widely, the Catholics, Methodist, Protestants, Reformist, Orthodox, Greek, Evangelical, etc. The Jewish community is also well represented with a few congregations. Though I only found one of them, The Reform Chavurah At Yale - 80 Wall St., later I found a website linking existing synagogues in New Haven Ct. 

To get to a more direct and related point, the reason for my visit was to get inspired. And I did. The town is a college town with triple seriousness level. It releases a level of energy that penetrates any troubled mind and clears the though process. As I have stated in previous posts, I am not in law school yet. Factors of what kind of environment one goes to school, are important in deciding ones future. Personally, the town of New Haven and the Yale University, gave me clarity and motivation to the education aspect as well the "college town" aspect. Some people, especially those from large cities (NYC, CHICAGO, LOS ANGELES) have opportunities to go to city schools where the previous life one held is undisturbed. 

While it may work for some people to not change their daily routines but rather just fit Law School in there, I think it is crucial that one derive a state of peacefulness and remove all other unimportant matters from the equation while leaving Law School as a undisturbed experience. 
Yale university provides that structure simply on the seclusion and peaceful basis. (mind you the top notch education). 

I am not saying that people should be inclined to go to schools away from their homes. I just hope that what I described as the experience of my New Haven Visit, might clear the doubts of the large city resident contemplating the "going away school". The environment is different. You're surrounded by the students. Everything is at your fingertips. You control your destiny. 

p.s 

Here are some pictures of New Haven from my trip. Also I have included a bunch of links to the town. I would recommend anyone from NY, NJ, PA, CT who is contemplating a legal education away from home, to visit New Haven Ct. The experience there will serve as a major eye opener for what it means to be on your own.





No comments: